Thursday, July 9, 2015

Helaman 5 - the Rock

Helaman 5 is one of those chapters in the Book of Mormon that if you could only have a few, this is one you’d want above many others. There’s so much here, I can’t cover it all in a single day, so today I just write about v12 and what leads up to it. Tomorrow, I’ll write about the rest.

Helaman 5:12 is the entire message of the Book of Mormon distilled into a single paragraph. I can’t say it any better, so here it is:

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

I’ve often wondered what the foundation is Helaman is referring to. As near as I can tell, it means your faith in Christ: living with the confidence that He knows you, loves you and leads you along this bumpy road called "life," and that you can entrust your life to Him.

My best part is the promise that if we live this way, then we will never fall, as in fall away from Him and His light into darkness and misery.

I cling to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment