Sunday, July 19, 2015

Helaman 11-12 - The unsteadiness of man

In Chapter 12, Mormon decries the fallibity and wickedness of man, lamenting that even the dust of the Earth is greater than man because it obeys the voice of God. In chapter 11, Mormon recounts two complete cycles of wickedness/punishment/repentance and righteousness with a return to wickednes. It starts with the remarkable demonstration of the power God granted to Nephi over the elements when Nephi prays that God send a famine to end the bloodshed then occuring amongst the Nephites.

God hears Nephi and shuts the heavens causing a famine that last for several years leading to the deaths of thousands by starvation and the re-awakening in the people that they really are dependent upon God. They repent, both the Lamanites and the Nephites, resulting in a period where both nations are converted to the Lord, but then in a matter of a few years they slide back to where, at the end of the chapter they are waxing stronger in their pride and wickedness.

This is a sobering section to read since the applicability to our day is obvious: in our prosperity, how often and how quickly do we ever turn to God? While it's convenient and easy to say this is a societal problem, the truth is society is a collection of individuals including me. My behavior contributes to the behavior of the whole. Am I listening to God as I should? (No. Not nearly as much as I should.) Am I living the Gospel consistent with what I know? (Obviously No.) Am I at least trying to? (Not nearly as often as I should.) Alas, I fit Mormon's description when he says, "How quick to be lifted up in pride... how quick to boast... how slow to remember God and give ear unto His counsels."

Fortunately, God is merciful and very kind. While I'm grateful for that truth, that's a bank account I don't want to overdraw.

No comments:

Post a Comment