Friday, July 17, 2015

Helaman - 10: With Great Power

Imagine yourself walking along a street somewhere and God begins speaking to you and tells you, "I'm giving you my power over this people: to do whatever you want to them. Because," here's the catch, "I know you wont do anything I wouldn't approve of."

Now the back story: you've just finished a mission that has taken you throughout the entire nation and to cap the mission, you were arraigned in court for the murder of the Chief Judge of the land, think the President of the US for a comparison, and miraculously exhonerated. What do you do? Go home and catch your breath first then go out?

This happens to Nephi in Chapter 10, and what he did was head right back out on the road to tell the people what the Lord had told him to say. He never made it home. Talk about being a super hero!

When I casually read this, I get caught up in thinking how "cool" it would be to have that kind of power given to me by God. Fortunately for us all, that's never happened and not likely either, but it did for Nephi. It's instructive to see what he did with that and why he was given the power... God trusted him.

That's a high bar! But living so God trusts me enough that if it were ever necessary, He could give me that kind of power is something I aspire to. Said another way, I want to live so God holds me in the same esteem he had for Nephi. All I have to do is be righteous and tireless in doing only those things He approves of. Not. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment