Sunday, July 26, 2015

Charity Never Faileth - Meaning of...

This is slightly off topic, but the idea came with such force, I wanted to share it with you all. While preparing for my lesson in High Priests, I came across the expression "charity never faileth." Normally, I would have blown right past that and not given it any more thought, but the question came to me... "what does it mean?"

For me, I'd always thought it meant that charity is an eternal virtue, as in, it's what motivates all who are citizens of the Celestial Kingdom. Because that's how they live and act, then charity is a concept, a behavior or attitude that is eternal.. it never faileth. And then the question came to mind... but what does the word "fail" mean?

So, to the dictionary I went, wondering if there was some obscure meaning which may provide a new nuance to the expression. Instead I was drawn to the very first definition: to be unsuccessful in achieving a goal. And then the ah-hah moment. Charity will always work! If you want to touch or raise or improve someone else, use charity: it always works!

No comments:

Post a Comment