Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Election Reflections

This post has nothing to do directly with religion or the Book of Mormon. But it's something I wanted to say and put out there just the same.

It's 0-dark-thirty in the morning. I didn't go to bed till about two this morning listening to Trump's acceptance speech. In an election that was as memorable as it is historic, this was not the end to the day I expected. A "republican" won the White House and the Republican's maintain control of not only the House but the Senate too. So, what are my thoughts?

I'm reminded of the impression I had one early morning riding a bus to work several years ago. As I sat amongst the sleeping commuters on the express bus going over the Point of the Mountain, I had the impression come to me that it was these people who would save the country. These were the people, regular people like myself, who would do the amazing and wrest the future of our country from a descent into tyranny. They would be the ones to carry the Constitution away to safety as it hung by a thread.

Did I just witness that? It's to early to tell. But this much I'm pretty certain of: the vile stench of the Clintons will not likely ever sully the White House again. For all Trump's weaknesses, they pale in comparison to the Clinton's brazen wickedness. The American electorate has spoken and saved us from her being in office. Maybe it's not the saving of the Constitution I'd hoped for, but I'll take this big step in the right direction.

Lest you think me deluded, consider these facts:

1.    Trump spoke of women in lewd terms. He's accused of groping many. Bill Clinton raped, groped, and abused women, some of whom were his political supporters WHILE IN OFFICE. His wife then defamed and destroyed them politically and socially in the name of her political aspirations. Who is worse?

2.    Trump is accused of working the tax laws to his advantage to avoid paying taxes to the IRS. Well, duh. Is that wrong? Compare that to the lost records of the Rose Law Firm and all the other shady, half-told evasions of the law which is THE Clinton legacy. While Trump used the laws to his personal advantage, the Clintons broke laws. And when they hid or destroyed the incriminating evidence, they relied upon political sycophants to protect them. Which is worse?

3.    Has Trump's business decisions destroyed the lives of other people? Sadly, yes. Compare that to the lives of US Service men and an Ambassador who lost his life because of decisions Hillory made and recommended to President Obama. Both are bad. Which is worse?

4.    Some of Trump's comments are divisive. But what of Obama's excoriation of the police? Can we say we're more united now as a nation after eight years of President Obama's pontification and involvement in race relations? Granted he's not up for re-election, but Hillory was his heir apparent. Do you think she would've been different? Not at all. Who's worse?

5.    Does anyone like Obamacare? I for one am hopeful it will now be repealed and thrown out on the dustbin of awful ideas. I am hopeful now that the coal industry in America will be revitalized. I'm hopeful the Keystone pipeline will be completed. That America will take good steps towards energy independence. I'm hopeful the strangling regulations and executive orders of the last eight years will be repealed and done away with. I'm hopeful we will see appointees to the Supreme Court and to all the lesser courts who will be more interested in defending the law than in legislating new law from the bench. Before the Trump victory and the Republican victories in the House and Senate, I had no hope for any of that.

What I do know is the American people, the little guys like me and those riding on that bus so long ago, spoke yesterday and changed the direction of this country. Given the course she was on, I'm pleased. I can live with that.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen, cousin. I, too stayed up to hear his acceptance speech, and was surprised at how humble it came across. I hope he accomplishes many good for our country things with a republican led House and Senate behind him. People despised Reagan also at the beginning of his presidency, and look at how he is revered now.

    ReplyDelete