Saturday, July 4, 2020

My November Vote


In the grand scheme of politics in these United States, I’m a virtual nobody. I do vote, so that makes me somebody for a few minutes in November when I vote, but the rest of the time, I’m a political nobody. I’m OK with that.

With the political and social turmoil embroiling our country now, I do feel a compelling need to let people know how I feel about the upcoming election. I’ll be honest here: I am NOT voting FOR Donald Trump. At the same time I am NOT voting FOR Joe Biden. The truth is, I’m not voting FOR any one person at all.

 

“So you’re not voting this year?” You ask. Au contraire mon ami. I am most certainly going to vote in November. I want to make it clear I am not voting “for” any person. The ONLY person whom I feel safe voting “for” would be Jesus Christ. I have absolute trust in His ability to make wise decisions. I would vote for Him. No one else.

Instead I am voting “for” principles.

I’m voting for the defense of the unborn child. Too many children are killed each year by the likes of “Planned Parenthood.” Children which could otherwise be adopted. This is a travesty that must be stopped.


I’m voting for the appointment of strict constructionist judges. Many of the social problems we suffer from today are the result of activist judges “legislating from the bench.” That is not what the Founding Father’s intended.


I am voting for reduced government involvement in my life. I’m mindful of history that shows what Pres. Gerald Ford once said is very true. He said, “a government that can give you everything you want has the power to take everything you have.” I don’t want that kind of government. If it means it can give less stuff away, so be it. I don’t want it to take any more of my stuff than necessary.

I’m voting for a government that respects the rule of law. Though to be candid, I don’t see that principle in effect very many places at all.


I’m voting for a government which allows the free market to decide “winners” and “losers” in the economy. “To big to fail,” or “protected groups deserving special consideration” is anathema to me. No one gives me a special break when it comes to bills I have to pay or qualifying for a position in a company. Why should anyone else?

I’m voting for the right to defend my property and person. This summer has shown the police can be overwhelmed by events and out of touch politicians. (Yes, I'm thinking of you Jenny Durkan.) While I’d much rather they do the job, when they can’t I want to be able to defend myself.



I’m voting for equal representation at the ballot box. It’s scary to think that enough dead people have voted to change the outcome of elections. That shouldn’t be.

I’m voting for elections to be limited to those who actually have skin in the game of government. I pay taxes, so I have a right to make my voice heard at the ballot box. I am passionately opposed to letting people vote who don’t pay taxes or contribute to the system.

I’m voting for a better, choice-driven education system. Public schools in America, especially in inner cities are absolute failures. The practice and laws which deny parents choice in where their children attend school, must be abolished. Let the free-market work to make schools better.

I’m voting for a foreign policy where the interests of my country are not for sale to foreign powers.

I’m voting for a color blind government. Laws shouldn’t favor or punish anyone simply for the color of their skin. Laws that discriminate against someone on the grounds of the color of their skin or race or where they live should be altered or abolished.



I’m voting for smaller government. The smaller the government, the less power it has and the less appealing it is to those who lust after power. We have enough masters as it is. I don’t want overlords.

I’m voting for a government that keeps a level playing field in the world of business and finance. I’m against the cozy relationships between government agencies and large businesses, non-profit foundations, private interest groups, lobbyist and trade unions.

I’m voting for the right to keep my money from being sent to a trade union I don’t want representing me.

I’m voting for a government which doesn’t punish me for wanting to live the precepts of my religion. (Obviously there are limits here, a “religion” that condones honor killings for some perceived abuse should not be allowed to do such things.)

Yet, since voting requires voting “for” a person, I will vote for someone. But the person I vote for will be the person who I think will best represent these interests.

No comments: